Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

The Messiness of Faith

Most people don't like the messiness of faith.  But faith can only exist in a world where life is difficult.  Otherwise, there would be no need for it.  Whatever God calls us to, will challenge us.  It won't be easy and it won't just fall in our laps.  Walking out our unique path won't always come without stones in the road, or detours, or pitfalls.  The thing about faith, is that He is with us through all of those challenges.  That's the beauty of faith...even at it's messiest.

When life seems to hit the fan and fall apart, He wants us to talk to Him first, before doing anything else.  Scripture says that He is a very present help in time of trouble.  Turning to Him, orienting our hearts towards Him, opens the door for Him working on our behalf, and in so doing...relying on Him...builds our faith. Going to the place that doesn't change, (God's presence), causes things in us, to change.

We think it's okay to believe, as long as it doesn't interfere with the way we act, the way we think, the way we treat people.  If we dare to really think about what we believe, it messes with us.  It makes us step outside of our boundaries and the places where we feel safe.  It changes us and it changes how we live.  Most of us assume that when things get messy, we have stepped outside of faith and are walking in places where we shouldn't be.  But God calls us to be uncomfortable, to be stretched, to be challenged.

Sometimes, I wake up in the morning and think, "God, can I tackle this again today?  Do I want to engage in the messiness of where you are taking me?".  When I have these doubts, I know that He understands why I have them and He isn't offended.  But He wants me to repent of my doubt and to allow Him to be at work in me.

If your life is messy and not going in the direction you think it should be, settle down, go to the place that never changes and wait upon the Lord.  He will speak to your heart about the next step.  He will comfort your hurts and hold you until you've worked out your next step with Him.  A friend shared this Scripture with me this week:  "God, the Master, The Holy of Israel, has this solemn counsel: “Your salvation requires you to turn back to me and stop your silly efforts to save yourselves. Your strength will come from settling down in complete dependence on me." — Isaiah 30:15  Did you catch that?  Settle down in complete dependence!  Faith is messy and faith is hard, but we have His instruction to settle down and depend on Him.  That's where I want to be!

No matter if God is leading me through a place that is challenging or if life is throwing me curve balls, I want to want to step out in faith, walk through the messiness, depending on Him.  I don't want to miss out on a life of meaning and purpose, just because I'm afraid to let go and let God!



From His Lap,
~Erin




7 comments:

  1. Love this, Erin. That Scripture has been life to me this week. It's right where I want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna,

      Thanks so much for sharing the Scripture with me! I've been meditating on it ever since then! You are a blessing to me!

      ~Erin

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Erin! This is so true. Thanks for sharing with me.
    Love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      I'm honored that you take the time to read my posts!

      Blessings,
      ~Erin

      Delete
  3. Hi Erin; love this! We can live through sickness and through health, happiness or sorrow, or any pressures and anxiety that we may have with joyful confidence~ knowing and anticipating, with faith in His amazing grace, what He has planned for us. We must be inspired to deepen our relationship and dependence on God instead of relying on ourselves to figure it all out. :)

    Blessings and love!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise,

      Thanks so much for stopping by! I have found that the only way I can get to where He wants me to be, and survive all that life throws at me in the mean time, is by complete dependence on Him!

      Blessings,
      ~Erin

      Delete
  4. In my opinion, we can only behold and understand beauty of this world if we know its bad side. Great article!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for giving us a little nugget of truth from your heart!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...